The appointments for next weeks blood drive are very low. Also if anyone is willing to volunteer to help promote the drive that would be great.
“As a reminder SF Firefighters Union 798 is hosting a blood drive next week and we need your help. Right now there is an urgent need for O- blood, the universal blood type that all patients can receive. There is also an increased demand for convalescent plasma. Donors whose blood tests positive for antibodies can help a COVID 19 patient with their plasma while their other blood components may help a trauma victim, cancer patient or someone with another serious medical condition.
Amidst the COVID-19 pandemic, patients continue to require blood products for childbirth, cancer treatments, essential medical procedures and every day emergencies. With many high schools and colleges holding virtual classes or unable to host on-site blood drives, more than 800 blood drives have been forced to cancel this fall, resulting in about 27,000 donations potentially going uncollected. Your drive is a crucial component of our lifesaving mission - we’re grateful for your support.
Please see below for your drive details and a link to your appointment page:
- Drive Date: Tuesday, December 8, 2020/ Wednesday, December 9, 2020/ Thursday, December 10, 2020
- Location: Irwin Center- 270 Masonic Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94118, 2nd Floor Conf. Rm 1 & 2
- Drive Hours: 9 am to 1:45 pm
- Click here to schedule your appointment on Tuesday, December 8, 2020
- Click here to schedule your appointment on Wednesday, December 9, 2020
- Click here to schedule your appointment on Thursday, December 10, 2020
To prepare your potential donors for the drive, here are additional details:
- Blood donation is essential.
- We are taking additional safety measures due to COVID-19. https://www.vitalant.org/COVID-FAQs
- Potential donors are encouraged to review Blood Donor Qualifications prior to making an appointment. Donor Qualifications
- Double Red Cell Donation – Power Up Your Donation: To meet the demand for blood, Vitalant is optimizing your blood donation with the double red cell program. A double red cell donation enables a donor to give two units of red blood cells during one appointment. To learn more Click here.
- The donation process takes approximately one hour. Allow an hour and a half for a Double Red Cell Donation.
- Fast Track – Donors can complete the health questionnaire online prior to arriving to the drive. The questionnaire must be completed the same day as the donation and barcode needs to be presented at the drive. This can also be completed at the drive. Fast Track Link
- Due to social distancing, we are asking that everyone arrive for their appointment on time.
- The donation process takes about an hour. With social distancing, it might be a little longer.
- Donors should arrive well hydrated and nourished.
- Donors need photo identification with first and last name.
- Together, we can fight COVID-19. To discover future convalescent plasma donors, Vitalant is testing all blood donations for antibodies. Please share this important news with your donors, including our COVID-19 Antibody Testing Frequently Asked Questions.